SEC Headlines 9/4/2012
1. Mizzou wide receiver T.J. Moe on teammate Sheldon Richardson’s comments regarding Georgia: “If you need somebody to say something for you to play any harder, then you’re probably not playing the game right in the first place.”
2. Jon Gruden: “I like what Georgia does offensively.”
3. Mizzou linebacker Will Ebner listed as questionable for Georgia but says “I’ll be on the field Saturday.”
4. Then Florida State offensive coordinator Mark Richt interviewed for the coaching job at Mizzou back in 2000. He faces them for the first time as Georgia’s head coach on Saturday.
5. Injury update for the Bulldogs – tailback Ken Malcome expected to play on Saturday.
6. Florida coach Will Muschamp on naming Jeff Driskel the Gators’ starting quarterback. ”(A)t the end of the day, I felt we needed to name a guy and move forward.”
7. Muschamp gets a gift basket from the mayor of College Station, Texas. “It was nice. Very appreciative.”
8. Tennessee’s new fast-paced offense produced 79 plays on Saturday – the most since a quadruple OT game back in 2007.
9. Concern over the offense at South Carolina? Gamecocks have passed for less than 100 yards three times in the last seven games.
10. Joker Phillips on Kentucky’s home-opening opponent:”Kent State’s probably looking at us thinking they have an opportunity to beat a BCS team.”
11. Mark Story: (T)here are some disturbing trends emerging for Joker. Fact-checking preseason promises.
12. Vanderbilt faces a Northwestern team on Saturday that scored 42 points against Syracuse in a duel-quarterback system
13. “Gameday” has been a sad day for Texas A&M in the past.
14. Just how big a game is Mississippi State for Auburn? “(Gene) Chizik is about to lead his team into the most important game he’s coached without (Cam) Newton at quarterback. “
15. One area to focus on for Tigers – the play of their defensive tackles “has to improve significantly.”
16. Auburn fullback Jay Prosch transferred from Illinois to be closer to his ailing mother. She died on Sunday.
17. Alabama center Barrett Jones on freshman running back T.J. Yeldon: “I don’t think it’s a secret that he might be the next one — kind of in line to take over that title of our great running back.”
18. “There is no grand experiment going on in Tuscaloosa, just an intensely driven, sometimes mean-spirited, often obsessive football coach trying to win games.”
19. After three fumbles on Saturday, a focus on ball security at Arkansas.
20. After giving up 24 points to Jacksonville State, “ there is some legitimate concern for the defense right now.”
21. Advice for LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger: You don’t have to win games for the Tigers – just need to focus on not losing them.
24. Athlon’s SEC power rankings.
25. Nick Saban likes the new helmet rule in college football.
26. Time for some other new rules? “The NCAA or the BCS or whoever’s in charge of college football these days should ban games against lower-division teams. “
27. The switch in conferences has business booming in Columbia, Mo.
28. The world’s highest-paid athletes of 2012. The first two on the list are boxers.
Read the rest here: SEC Headlines 9/4/2012
Tags: bcs, focus, football, game, georgia, play, sec, state